|DRC: APARECO sponsors the rebellion says Minister MENDE|
|Saturday, 15 May 2010 23:10|
Over six months since fighting first erupted in Dongo (Equateur province); the situation there remains a mystery. What caused the fighting initially to break out on 29 and 30 October last year? If it was really just a local conflict over fishing and land rights, why did Kabila sent a battalion of Special Forces from the eastern Congo and hundreds of police men, while MONUC sent a company of their troops?
Why did over a hundreds of thousand people flee from violence, over 200,000 ending up in their neighbouring Republic of Congo? Why have the press in Kinshasa seized on this rebellion, expressing far more interest than what is happening in the Kivus?
The situation still remains shrouded in mystery; even the internal MONUC reports don't shed a great deal of light on the matter. I spoke with two different MLC representatives in Kinshasa about the matter, one of them from Equateur, and they also appear confused.
It appears that the fighting did initially erupt over local fishing rights; at least that was the trigger. Afterwards, some former Mobutu officers (ex-FAZ) and members of the MLC joined in, taking advantage of the arms caches left in the area by the MLC after the war.
There have been allegations that the government troops sent in initially to quell the insurgency only fanned the flames by committing numerous abuses against the local population, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this.
It is also clear that what started as a small quarrel between neighbouring communities quickly grew to something far more serious. MONUC troops deployed to the area reported seeing dozens, perhaps hundreds of Congolese army soldiers dead and wounded from the fighting, some of whom they evacuated with their helicopters.
A MONUC helicopter was shot at by the insurgents, as well. Whatever this armed group was, they had gotten their hands on quite a few small calibre weapons. "This is about more than just smoked fish," one MONUC official told me.
Rumours in Kinshasa reported that Angola was behind this, taking advantage of a local feud to express their discontent with the government in Kinshasa, which is trying to wrest a lucrative offshore oil field away from them.
‘’Allegations that the former Mobutists in exile are backing the movement, pointing at Honore Ngbanda (Mobutu's former security advisor, now based in Paris), who has been publishing a stream of propaganda for the insurgents through his political "party", APARECO and its members, Mr Lambert Mende was quoted as saying,’’
Still others allege that Kabila's government has fomented this, in order to create a pretext to crack down on Equateurians.
This rebellion attracted a lot of attention and consideration from the authorities in Kinshasa, compared to those in the east of the country.
sponsors of the movement of the equateur province rebellion.
Communications Minister Lambert Mende had already announced on May 5 that villagers had captured Ondjani ,the rebellion spiritual leader and handed him over to the police.
The minister has never mention to date who sponsored Laurent Nkunda and his National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP) as he did with the equateur rebellion. Since he was arrested in January 2009 in Rwanda ,no credible negotiations have taken place for his extradition to the Congo, Nkunda‘s lawyers want him free and the Rwandan government is on the way of considering just that.
So, soon and very soon Laurent Nkunda will be a free man again under the nose of the national and international community.
But the same DRC government was quick to negotiate officially with the Congo Brazzaville 's government on ways and means for Ondjani to be extracted to the DRC and face justice.
After the Minister's remarks,arround or about February 2010 deadly attacks on local members of APARECO by security and secret forces are in increase throughout the Congo. In most of the café internet i visited in Kinshasa it is clearly mention on the doors or notice boards:''we do not encourage our clients to visit the APARECO website or political sites.
The whisper of a new rebellion in North Kivu gestation reinforces another rumor that the country would experience a new Apocalypse, a new political tsunami, the aftermath of the festivities on June 30 .
At the same time, the villagers of Bajuvi, chiefdom of Bukumu, Nyiragongo territory and the neighborhood Super Match, Territory of Nyiragongo denounced Thursday, May 6, a new wave of massive influx of Rwandan troops from Gisenyi in Rwanda. Once on the Congolese territory, the Rwandan military take an unknown destination.
Suddenly, the FDLR was believed to have been repulsed by the Umoja Wetu and Amani Leo operations, into the forest of Walikale and Maniema, resurface in some media, are seen at the airport in Goma for not leaving to Rwanda, their homeland, but for Katanga, Bas-Congo, etc... When asked, members of provincial and National ensembly say they have not been consulted on the relocation and release of the FDLR in the Congo.
The supervisor of the release would be a Protestant minister in Kinshasa by the name of Mulunda, the same one ,that toured the provinces to buy weapons from armed groups.
The road to peace, democratization of the Congo and Africa in general is still a long short away.
NB.This Article does not reflect the Views of Africafrique.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 16 May 2010 16:40|